John on S8

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 12 22:45:23 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:24:44AM +0800, John wrote:

> Perhaps we differ in terminology. I am referring to what happens after
> rebooting as "stage 2."
>
> It asked for the CD, so it should eject it.

We're talking about the same thing.  Stage 2 no longer asks for the CD since
last week.  I think it may have been just slightly after Sounder 8 went out,
though, which would explain the discrepancy.

Now, the packages on the CD are copied during stage 1, and once you reboot,
the CD is no longer needed.

> I am. It's what I had to do in order to test it with a drive not in the
> database.

When you said "adding new drives", I thought you meant "adding new drives to
the machine", but you meant "adding to smartmontools the capability to
monitor new models of drives".  I understand now.

> Some of the configuration tools -  eg Synaptic - invoke sudo to validate
> the users.
>
> In other cases where there is no such configuration tool, there is no
> GUI way to edit config files. If I open them in gedit, it's read-only
> (and it took me a while to figure why it was behaving oddly).
>
> Perhaps I've assumed you're trying to do more than you are.

Currently, there are things which can be configured graphically from the
desktop, and things which cannot.  We do not currently attempt to provide a
wrapper for editing configuration files by hand.

I remember there was a simple tool in Windows 3.1 or so which would open
some common configuration files (AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, etc.) for
editing, which sounds like what you are proposing.  It didn't seem to catch
on, though.  Do you think there is a significant "market" for it (users who
are comfortable editing configuration files, but prefer to do so from a menu
item rather than from the command line)?  I think there are probably more
users at either end of the spectrum than in this middle ground, but I have
no data to back it up.

--
 - mdz