Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Sep 2 16:56:04 CDT 2004

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> They need to be able to deal with this gracefully, like greying out, or we
> should remove them from the default. Does the volume control applet have
> the same problem if there is no working soundcard?

Yes, I'm working on this.

> >* The "About Ubuntu..." menu entry opens the no-name-yet.com website for
> >the moment. Do we want something else for this ? A nice window like the
> >"About GNOME" one ?
>
> Yes please! I think I left you with a mockup of that window, I can
> describe it again if you need. Should also contain links to "About
> Linuux", "About Gnome" and "About OpenOffice" on that same dialog.

Suggestion: Let's just open a web browser with an Ubuntu-styled page in it
with all these links. It would be on-disk so we don't have to rely on the
network. Far, far, far less work than doing a dialogue (and can be done in
tandem with the website stuff).

> Please send me the name and email of the author. If we have to drop it
> it's a big pity, will require leaving the trash icon on the desktop.

That's bad? Surely it's significantly better to have a very well tested
trash icon on the desktop (which everyone is used to) than a very obviously
incomplete trash applet on the panel. Upstream will certainly have interest
in the trash applet during 2.10, and we can ship it for Hoary - tested and
localised, etc., etc.

> >The main issues are:
> >- not localized
>
> Not a release problem.

?!

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

     "I think his crackpipe is mixed with helium or something." - Colin
                           Walters on Hans Reiser