Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Wed Sep 1 08:10:42 CDT 2004

Seb, thanks for the status update on these. Most of them have been well
discussed on the list, here's a few additional comments.

>- we still need to take a decision about places in the Computer menu.
>I'm not sure that adding bookmarks and devices is a good idea, it'll
>make a very long menu (and it needs some non-trivial hack which will
>take time)

Agreed, let's just make sure that everything from inside the "Computer"
icon is represented on the Computer menu, then I'm happy. Jeff and Scott
will lead the placing debate.

>* The wireless and battery applets in the default desktop displays
>errors if you don't have a wireless device or a battery. What's the
>decision about this ? (#945)

They need to be able to deal with this gracefully, like greying out, or
we should remove them from the default. Does the volume control applet
have the same problem if there is no working soundcard?

>* The "About Ubuntu..." menu entry opens the no-name-yet.com website for
>the moment. Do we want something else for this ? A nice window like the
>"About GNOME" one ?

Yes please! I think I left you with a mockup of that window, I can
describe it again if you need. Should also contain links to "About
Linuux", "About Gnome" and "About OpenOffice" on that same dialog.

>* We should probably remove some of the screensavers from xscreensaver
>(like the false crash screens). (#946)

I attached a sample config to the wiki, please use that as starting
point for debate :-). It's admittedly very GL-heavy.

>* The trashapplet has some issue, and no reply from the devel in 2
>weeks. We should probably drop it from the default configuration...

Please send me the name and email of the author. If we have to drop it
it's a big pity, will require leaving the trash icon on the desktop.

>The main issues are:
>- not localized

Not a release problem.

>- we want to get some animation when a file is moved to on the top of
>the trash

Not hugely important, nice to have.

>- it doesn't ask for confirmation before emptying the trash

Should be trivial to add, the dialog already exists!

>- doesn't support transparent panels (white square around the icon)

Not a release-critical problem... nice to have.

Cheers,
Mark

Try Debian GNU/Linux. Software freedom for the bold, at www.debian.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/