Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Tue Sep 7 05:25:27 CDT 2004

>Suggestion: Let's just open a web browser with an Ubuntu-styled page in it
>with all these links. It would be on-disk so we don't have to rely on the
>network.

Sure.

>That's bad? Surely it's significantly better to have a very well tested
>trash icon on the desktop (which everyone is used to) than a very obviously
>incomplete trash applet on the panel. Upstream will certainly have interest
>in the trash applet during 2.10, and we can ship it for Hoary - tested and
>localised, etc., etc.

It works just fine. The issues are cosmetic. Cosmetic issues can be
addressed.

>>>The main issues are:
>>>- not localized
>>>

>>Not a release problem.
>>

>?!

We can update translations easily, without affecting codepaths, security
or stability.

>>> Home on _my_  system is useless. Takes too long to open. atm it's got
>>> about 440 files & directories that are not hidden, 600 total.
>>

>It's interesting to hear some of the results of recent Nautilus releases,
>with people tidying up their previously manageable (but hideously messy)
>home directories. Why? Well, they were only using terminals before.  :-)

This is why I wanted to introduce Documents.

We should introduce Documents, pre-populated with Photos, Music, Work
type directories. New users will naturally put things in the right
places. And old users will start to move their stuff into the right
places, to clean up their home dirs. Will plan properly for Hoary on
this stuff, and get community feedback.

Try Debian GNU/Linux. Software freedom for the bold, at www.debian.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/