Support for MTD devices (NAND/NOR Flash)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 29 10:27:20 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Sonntag, den 28.02.2016, 22:03 -0800 schrieb Wolfgang Tolkien:
> I'm new to Snappy, and so far it seems very impressive! I have a few
> questions though: we are looking at Snappy as a possible platform for
> future products and I noticed that all the hardware platforms that are
> supported so far seem to have SD/MMC/eMMC storage (or of course regular
> HDDs/SSDs for larger systems)
>
> Is it possible to run Snappy on hardware that uses MTD devices in
> combination with filesystems such as UBI or JFFS2?
>
> And if the answer is no, are there any plans to support this in the future?

it is definitely possible, the issue here is that we have currently no
install process beyond "dd this image to an SD card", which is why all
images are focused on that ...
there are plans for a "recovery mode with install option" that should
allow you to install from a booted SD card to some internal flash device
but i do not know if this is a 16.04 goal (if it is, it is quite late
for it though).

also we currently use a plain ext4 partition for the writable bits, this
probably needs to be turned into a loop mounted image or we need to add
support for additional filesystems to the boot scripts when sitting on
one of the above filesystems...

ciao
	oli