How to build Snappy Ubuntu Core from source to binary?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 29 09:57:21 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 29.10.2015, 16:57 +0800 schrieb I-Sheng Lin:

> This means, I want to build an exactly the same image as what I have
> downloaded from the website here Link.
>
> I would go through your link and please let me know if you have any
> idea to do it.

sure we do, after all we produce these images ;)
note though that this isn't actually trivial ...

snappy is built from binary deb packages from the ubuntu archive using
our general image build infrastructure (debian-cd [1], ubuntu-cdimage
[2], live-build (with all the configuration and extra hooks shipped in
the livecd-rootfs [3] package))

the list of used .deb packages is provided as .manifest file for each
rootfs tarball at [4]

so to build *everything* from source you would have to use the debian
source packages from the archive and change them, have the above
infrastructure in place and provide a local package mirror with your
changed packages.

the fragments on cdimage.ubuntu.com then serve as input for the
system-image.ubuntu.com server [5] that takes these build fragments and
turns them into delta tarballs (rootfs, device and oem-snap) for image
based upgrades.
ubuntu-device flash then assembled them into an img file based on the
json data for your selected channel on system-image.ubuntu.com. which
you can then dd to your harddisk (or SD card).

there is a small project called rootstock that allows you to replicate
the steps [1] - [4] at [6], but that will only give you the cdimage
artifacts, so you need some local system-image server and would need to
convince ubuntu-device-flash to make use of it...

good luck ;)

ciao
	oli

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-cdimage/debian-cd/ubuntu