Kernel Snap for 16.04

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Mon Nov 23 15:56:06 UTC 2015

Gents - I've got a prototype for a 16.04 kernel snap
(git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/kernel-snap.git). There are a bunch of
branches with (hopefully) self explanatory names. I'm having a bit of
difficulty with armhf because 'snappy build' really doesn't work well in
armhf QEMU, and running an amd64 instance of 'snappy build' to package
armhf doesn't work so well either. I did verify a week or so ago that
building armhf on a native platform worked, but it takes quite awhile.

Some development notes - your best bet is to use Xenial, though
amd64-from-deb-16.04 and i386-from-deb-16.04 can be built from Trusty.
Any of the armhf builds require Xenial. I've tried to ensure that all
required packages are detected and installed, but as I haven't gone back
and started with a pristine Xenial, I'm sure I've missed something.

I tried using an LXC container, but there are some (likely solvable)
issues with mounting /proc and /sys. I chose to ignore them for now.

Eventually I'll collapse all of the *-from-deb-16.04 branches into one,
but the example of building from source is different enough that it'll
likely always remain separate.

rtg
Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com