Porting to a new unsupported board: uboot fails to properly read the partition table

Andrea Bernabei andrea.bernabei at canonical.com
Thu Nov 19 17:15:49 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I recently won a dev board at a conference, and I'm trying to port Snappy
to it as a spare time pet project (yeah, this is the kind of things I am
into :D)

I read the porting guide
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/guides/porting/

and Ogra's post at
https://ograblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/porting-ubuntu-snappy-to-a-yet-unsupported-armhf-board/

I have already patched the kernel with the required apparmor patches and
also uboot to add ext4 commands, and I successfully installed them on the
board.

The problem I have at the moment is that the partition tablet of the image
created by ubuntu-device-flash (using my custom device tarball as input)
does not seem to be properly supported by uboot (and even some tools like
gparted).

Here's what a few tools report when listing the partitions on the *sdcard*
(I tried both with a 32Gb and a 4Gb sdcard)
- uboot's "mmc part" reports just 1 partition, type 0c
- gparted only shows 1 big partition, like uboot, with unknown filesystem
and lba flag
- parted shows 4 partitions
- kpartx shows 4 partitions

Any advice?