Proposal for upstream-rosetta priority problem

Claude Paroz paroz at email.ch
Sat Sep 9 09:20:32 BST 2006

Hi,

There has already been much discussion about the problem of Rosetta
priority over upstream translations.

On one side, it's important so as we can divert from official
translation in case of error or deliberate choice.
On the other side, there is a risk of forking translations, because
upstream corrections don't reach Rosetta when there is an existing
Rosetta translation (or only as suggestion).

Maybe Rosetta devs are already working on a solution, but I would
propose the following:

1. Add a new filter in the Show drop-down: "Changed from upstream"

2. In the "single-string" page, highlight the last upstream translation
in the suggestions (using the same green colour as in status bars would
be nice). Add a button "Revert to upstream" that put back the original
upstream translation in place.
It's important to note that manually copying the upstream translation
has not the same effect, because if a modification is done upstream
later, it won't automatically replace the manually added string.

Alternatively, you could prevent adding this new button if the system
automatically recognizes that when I manually add a string identical to
upstream one, the string resynchronizes with upstream, that is the
"Translated by" field shows upstream data (translator and date) and the
string is marked unchanged in Rosetta (green colour).

These 2 points are not directly related. One can be implemented without
the other. IMHO, the second one is the most important.

Hope this helps.

Claude