hello

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Tue Jan 11 08:43:47 CST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:49:50 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos.perello at canonical.com> wrote:

>> I've looked at Rosetta, played a little with it... very nice BUT
>> shouldn't there be a stand-alone app that would connect to the Rosetta server and maybe ease the translation?
>> There are some things that are easier to do with a stand-alone app like navigating a long list.
>>
>> If there is interest in such an app I'm willing to put up some time help creating it ;)
>
> We have it in our todo list, but we need to create the XML-RPC stuff so
> the application is able to connect with the server and use the same
> information Rosetta has atm.

can you provide some kind of "concept" or a mock-up interface to this XML-RPC server.

> Thanks for the interest, we will tell you more when we look close to
> this feature.
>

>> also... there should be a higher authority that should prioritise the translations, a wannabe translator should be guided to where he/she's input would help most. First let's get the Ubuntu CD translated then move to universe.
>
> We are going to start importing all hoary packages into Rosetta soon. I
> suppose we will also add some way to show the prioritization you talk
> about in the UI. Any suggestion for it is welcomed.

for starters there should be a priority 0 bunch that should include the most used stuff like: Gnome, Synaptic, Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Evolution, Gaim, XMMS, Gimp, Inkscape (the order is arbitrary).... I almost forgot... maybe the Ubuntu Installer should have like the highest priority.

For the rest you could implement some kind of voting system altho this might be abused.

--
Peter Damoc
jack of all trades, master of none