Moving OOo translation project over to Rosetta/Launchpad

Tim Morley t_morley at argonet.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 02:12:24 GMT 2005

Hi there.

I've been leading a l10n project at OpenOffice.org for a while, and
we've been looking for some sort of platform to coordinate the
distributed translation effort.

Launchpad/Rosetta seems to go a good way to providing what we want,
but there are two things which I think are feature requests. (At
least, I couldn't find the features, having just used Launchpad for
an hour or so). Forgive me if I'm going over old ground, and feel
free to reply with just URLs pointing to the answers to my questions,
if they've already been answered in detail elsewhere.

Feature Request 1, an absolute must-have: our existing .po files are
packed full of comments, showing queries from one translator, answers
from another with references to source code files, etc. The comments
clearly show other translators how reliable a particular translation
is, i.e. whether it's just a first idea by an inexperienced team
member, or a pretty good guess, or the best we can come up with but
we're open to suggestions, or something close to perfection, cross-
referenced with a dozen other languages and with source code
references too. Without the comments (and I think I'm right in saying
that the comments are at least hidden, if not thrown away
completely), all we've got is some words, which may or may not need
further attention.

I'm well aware of the fuzzy tag, but this is a very blunt instrument
and not even close to what we need.

Feature Request 2, a would-be-nice-to-have: it'd be good to know
*who* translated *what*, not just who worked on a particular file
last. I realise I'm probably asking rather a lot on this one, but
it's very useful information, particularly in a small team, with some
dedicated, experienced and meticulous translators (i.e. whose work is
a joy to proof-read because there's so little to change), and some
members who are, shall we say, lacking in one or more of the above
areas.

I've also got a question: is it easy enough to upload the .po files
we've done so far to Rosetta?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tim Morley