Allowing pointers/notes to translators (for things that can't be handled with gettext)

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Sun Apr 17 23:38:37 CDT 2005

Thomas Mills Hinkle wrote:

>For now, I'd like to know if there's a simple way I can point rosetta
>users to another webpage with information on how to translate these
>other things so they can have the app working properly in their
>language.

In the short term, I think Rosetta will display the programmer comments
around gettext translatable strings, so you could slip some pointers in
there. Longer term, I like the idea of storing an editable piece of text
along with the po template which would be displayed to all translaters.
That could allow you to describe your project's translation usage
policies and social structures, things we couldn't encode in the rosetta
app itself.

For the moment, I think you can edit the PO template description, and
that will be displayed on the list-of-languages page, so if you're
pointing your translaters at that they will see it.

>Long term, it would also be nice to have some way to customize or
>extend a rosetta interface to allow other translation tasks to be done
>(the example was given earlier of, for example, having a place to
>upload translated screenshots).

Screenshots would be AWESOME, because each upload in any language helps
other translaters have a better sense of the way a particular string is
going to be used. We can spec that out in Sydney next week.