Core-Dev Application: Till Kamppeter

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:14:43 BST 2008

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> I guess you're missing the core points:
>
> - files in /usr/local [1]

The /usr/local looked inevitable for me in the beginning, as the drivers
are closed-source, so I accepted packages installing into /usr/local.
Later on the idea of binary patching (replacing string "/usr/local" by
"/usr/././." came up and users were asked to test packages with this
change. It seemed to work with actual printers and so this binary patch
was used to get more policy-conforming packages.

> - the orig.tar.gz reconstructed, w.o. a hint what's in there and how it got
> reconstructed

This is a bad thing and I have asked the contributors to fix this. They
later on decided to use the original binary DEB files as upstream
sources to improve maintainability.

> - lots of unneeded "transitional" packages [2]

As the contributors introduced the transitional packages for me it
looked like a good idea to let auto-updates replace the installed
original packages by Ubuntu packages. For me the clutter of the high
amount of transitional packages was not such an issue. In a real-live
system they also do not get all installed, but only one for each
installed original Brother package (taking also into account that one
could only install one original Brother package at a time due to file
conflicts, it was only one transitional package installed).

> hm... I'm getting a little bit sceptical, when you wrote that pitti gave the
> 2nd ACK. Why would he first review a package, and later reject it from
> source-new? [3].

As he already told by himself, he has asked me to upload (so that the
packages go into NEW) and only then reviewed. Then he saw the
world-writable file and because of this he rejected the packages.

    Till