[RFC] Performance test framework

Andreas Pokorny andreas.pokorny at canonical.com
Fri Jun 19 11:50:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Alexandros Frantzis <
alexandros.frantzis at canonical.com> wrote:

> So, what I would like to hear from you is:
>
> 1. Your general preference for python vs C++ for the test scripts
> 2. Any particular performance tests that you would like to see implemented,
>    so we can get a first idea of what kinds of custom behaviors we may need
> 3. Any other comments, of course!

So far I mostly used C++ to evaluate lttng results. I didnt felt slowed
down especially boost
accumulators made it very easy to produce statistical information. For
actual test execution
I used shell - but provided the necessary user input manually.

...So yes we need something to better share test scenarios.

To better understand system behaviour it would be good to visualise the
activities of
the processes. And especially not only libmir* itself. So I was looking for
a common way
to produce time spans of activities, or in other words pairs of lttng
traces points that can be
easily matched. But the bigger problem is getting a usable for
visualisation. The now
renamed Trace Compass tools are just far too slow to even cope with a few
seconds of data.
..

regards
Andreas