The moving target of OS support

Cemil Azizoglu cemil.azizoglu at canonical.com
Wed Aug 12 03:29:06 UTC 2015

Is there some external interest in Mir that is prompting this? Do we have
evidence that there are people that want to contribute but find it
inconvenient to do so? If so, assuming they have a good reason, it'd make
sense to support older OS versions. If not, then it doesn't make sense to
create extra work for ourselves.

If we are going by assumptions, IMHO, people that are motivated and able
enough to contribute are probably on the cutting edge of technology, and
may actually prefer using the latest and greatest tools/OS.

Cemil

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Christopher James Halse Rogers <
chris at cooperteam.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Daniel van Vugt <
> daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> We did. C++14 was completely unnecessary and the reason why you can't
>> build Mir on our latest LTS today (without PPAs etc). The change to the
>> code was mostly cosmetic. Yes, that did make our lives slightly easier in
>> parts, but to what cost? If the cost is that some great developers using
>> trusty never get involved in Mir then I think it's too high.
>>

> Yeah, I think the entirety of our disagreement lies in our estimate of
> this cost. I assign a negligible probability to the statement “we would
> have had some great contributions to Mir if only it could build on 14.04
> without adding PPAs”.
>
> I agree that it *lowers* the probability, but (a) I think the absolutely
> zero-extra-friction probability of contribution is on the low side, and (b)
> the extra friction of adding an Ubuntu-core-team-supported PPA to install
> gcc-5 is negligable.

Cemil Azizoglu
Mir Display Server - Team Lead
Canonical USA