Component clarification

Kevin Gunn kevin.gunn at canonical.com
Fri Oct 25 14:22:29 UTC 2013

Don't take me wrong, i'm all for making things less confusing.
But to the statement the "whole project is about graphics" isn't completely
true imho, there's also input. To me anything that's related to reading,
writing, manipulating pixel data is worthy of being referred to as graphics.

I'm ok with "state & implementation code" changing from "surface" to
"core". I'm sure others will weigh in.
to be clear, a "surface" is any buffer/container of pixel data that a
app/compositor wants rendered (potentially placed on screen)

also, just challenging (as i really don't know the answer)...but is
mir::gbm heading down a "confusing" path?? is it _really_ gbm specific ? or
is it also specific to other things (drm, kms etc)...?
also...alot of people don't know what "gbm" is outside of graphics stack
junkies (i had to explain what it was to a very savvy person just
yesterday...that when mir team says "gbm" they really mean desktop)
also consider this...you suggested "android"....not "gralloc"...food for
thot
br,kg