Include directory structure, and installation packages

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Mar 21 21:43:14 UTC 2013

On 22/03/13 01:14, Alan Griffiths wrote:
> On 21/03/13 01:53, Daniel van Vugt wrote:
>> I think I agree with RobertA's position the most so far. However we're
>> going to confuse and complicate the discussion if everyone goes into
>> the kind of detail sene below.
>>
>> I suggest the best way to establish a header layout is to just say
>> what you want users of Mir to include. i.e. Express your opinion on
>> the requirements. For example I would say something like:
>>
>> Clients include:
>>    #include <mir/client/something.h>
>>
>> Server includes:
>>    #include <mir/server/somethingelse.h>
>>
>> Common stuff (if required at all):
>>    #include <mir/foo.h>
>> or
>>    #include <mir/common/foo.h>
> At the risk of starting a side debate about renaming mir_toolkit I'll
> try that:
>
> client-side graphics toolkits include:
>
> #include <mir_toolkit/something.h>
>
> server-side graphics toolkits include:
>
> #include <mir_toolkit/something.h>
>
> server-side shell include:
>
> #include <mir/somethingelse.h>

What does a non toolkit client (e.g. mir on mir) include?
#include <mir_nontoolkitclient/somthing.h>?

Wont both toolkits and shells have overlapping requirements that will
require them to include both?
#include <mir_toolkit/something.h>
#include <mir/somethingelse.h>

I don't think the name of mir_toolkit is a side issue. We have two
external library interfaces. A client interface (libmirclient.so) and a
server interface (libmirserver.so). The names on the includes should
reflect that.

--Robert