[lubuntu-users] Gnash needed in newer Lubuntus

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 14 01:28:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:36:35PM -0500, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
> I need an open source (hence my current use of Gnash and future use of
> Lightspark), Flash player for local SWF files, from Lubuntu 20.04 LTS on.

The problem here is that both of those applications are dependent on
GTK2, which is de facto unsupported. It's supposed to be "stable" but
with work happening on GTK4, I cannot imagine it's going to last. Given
Lubuntu supports 20.04 for 3 years and the Ubuntu Community extends this
for another 2 years, that's a long time to expect an application based
off of outdated libraries to work.

The sure fire solution, I guess would be to have a PPA with *all* of the
dependencies of Gnash (which, again, is meant to be very stable) in it.

> and the Flash player
> needs to run on Qt5 because that's what Lubuntu/LXQt needs.

THAT is going to be the toughest nut to crack unless you want to
convince Lightspark contributors to make the change.

FWIW, there's no reason you can't have the GTK libraries with LXQt,
but you'll be adding unnecessary overhead.

> There are a total of 142 SWF files that will need to be easily played

While I understand the value these files provide to your particular
project, I think unless you want to figure out your own way (I say this
because, like I said, most folks have decided to move on from Flash, so
it would be unreasonable to expect much support from anyone) over the
hurdles mentioned above, you are left with only two possibilities:

 1. The best solution would be to convince the authors of those files to
 port them to HTML5 or something else that's supported.

 2. Make the hard but unfortunate choice to drop supporting these files.

--
       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D