[lubuntu-users] Desktop crashing (18.04)?

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:49:41 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 4:28 PM Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> ... if you could add to the discussion in some way,
> maybe put your heads together with the 7 other folks that claim to have
> the same issue, that might be useful:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcmanfm/+bug/1782984

Thanks! I read halfway through that and will try to pay more attention to
some things.

For me this started with 18.04. But, I was running 17.04 (or 16.10). I
skipped at least one version (maybe two or three. I don't remember. I know
I had fallen out of support by the time I installed 18.04, software-update
wasn't doing anything anymore.).

I've always felt like it has something to do with mouse clicks not being
handled well (clicking too fast). But, that could just be my imagination,
looking for a simple reason.

Filesystem is EXT4. Laptop is Toshiba C55-B5299 (inexpensive, no-frills.
Celeron N2830 Processor, SATA drive; Intel HD graphics, shared memory.).

I didn't think this is related because GIMP had a major upgrade. But, GIMP
became very unstable for me (similar random freezing; kill it, start
again). It's 2.10.8 right now. I don't know what it was back when I
installed 18.04. But, it was the new, dark-themed 2.10. They changed it to
use GEGL(?). So, I thought that instability was due to *that*. But, maybe
it's related(?).

18.10 is already ready for primetime. Why wait?

I apologize. I didn't meant impugn 18.10. I got the impression (from an
announcement) that it was "the fist step," early-adopter sort of thing.
Maybe in April I'll try it. At this point I think I'd like to find a way to
detect what's happening with pcmanfm.

I'll read the bug comments more thoroughly. It would be nice if there was
some way to turn on debugging. I saw something about strace. Maybe that's
what I need to use. It's not a hardship to have it crash randomly. I just
wish I could view something and see what happened leading up to it. Maybe
some pointers are in the bug report conversation. I'll spend more time
studying that and post there.

Mark