[lubuntu-users] Desktop crashing (18.04)?

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 26 05:11:58 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 05:49:41PM -0700, Mark F wrote:
> I've always felt like it has something to do with mouse clicks not being
> handled well (clicking too fast). But, that could just be my imagination,
> looking for a simple reason.

Well there's only one way to find out. If it's a matter of clicking too
fast, then you should be able to find out some pattern/speed to clicking
that should be reproducible by anyone. Try to track that down.

> I didn't think this is related because GIMP had a major upgrade. But, GIMP
> became very unstable for me (similar random freezing; kill it, start
> again).

Could be related if say it's somehow a GTK issue. Is this only in the
file picker or is this within the normal GIMP? I've used GIMP in 18.04
with no issues but I'm not a heavy user. That said, it's *probably* not
related.

> I apologize. I didn't meant impugn 18.10. I got the impression (from an
> announcement) that it was "the fist step," early-adopter sort of thing.

No. More like it's the first release of Lubuntu with LXQt. The previous
cycle we actually made images available for testing, though none of them
were ever released. And before that we were packaging things. It's
certainly something we've put a lot of time in to get to the point where
we feel like it is made for prime time. That said, you should try it!

> I'll read the bug comments more thoroughly. It would be nice if there was
> some way to turn on debugging. I saw something about strace.

The one problem with debugging tools is that you generally have to have
them running and building up logs of activity while you try to reproduce
the issue. Well, that's not normally a problem, but with one where you
don't have a clear process to reproduce the issue, you may have to wait
a long time, which might mean a huge log file.

That said, some general advice on debugging is [available][1]. I
apparently never read this document before because the bit about
apport-retrace is not something I knew about. If your issue does indeed
create a .crash file (I suspect it won't), that might be an easy way to
figure it out.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
--
       @wxl | polka.bike