[lubuntu-users] No desktop appears on reboot of lubuntu 17.10

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 22:08:27 UTC 2018

On 01/25/2018 07:51 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>>> How would I know if I accidentally did switch to openbox?.... is there
>>> some way to identify the type of session that opens when I log in.
>>>
>>> Should I perhaps rename ~/.config  then logout and see what happens
>>> when I log back in? Or would that just be creating more trouble?
>>>

>> Hi Harry,
>> In the top right corner near the other indicators, there is a place to
>> click to choose other sessions.  I am not using the default icon theme
>> so I cannot tell you exactly what it looks like, but IIRC it may be a
>> gear icon, though I do not remember.
> Ah yes, now I do see it, its a tiny replica of the LXDE icon. The same
> as the one displayed on the lower panel main icon (like a start button
> with the main menu)
>
> When I look to see the *.png that the icon is pointing too it is
> lubuntu-logo.png (found at /usr/share/lubuntu/images/) But the one in
> upper right is very small.
>
> It is set to lubuntu so I guess that isn't the problem.
>
> However I do have good news ... I moved the .config directory to
> CONFIG-moved-$DATE and rebooted.  I now have the bottom panel with the
> normal icons and etc... no more black screen.  I guess I can poke
> around in CONFIG-moved-$DATE directory if I want to try to figure out
> what went wrong.
>
> Thanks for all the help and coaching.

Hi,

No problem,

The problem is most likely your openbox config for Lubuntu, which I do
not remember the name of it (I don't use the GTK version of Lubuntu,
only the Qt)

So there might be a lubuntu folder in .config with an xml file for
openbox (with the .rc ending) OR it could be a file in the openbox
directory there.

Glad it worked!