[lubuntu-users] New kernel seems to kill lubuntu in Vbox vm

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 13:17:48 UTC 2018

Hi Harry,
(bottom posting)
On 01/23/2018 06:55 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> [Note: It is an older version of Vbox involved (5.0.40)
> That is due to complications on Openindiana regarding installing
> recent vbox versions.]
>
> I've been trying to setup lubuntu as guest in a vbox vm on an
> openindiana host (solaris x86 11 off-shoot).
>
> I've run quite a few vms on this oi host some for a good while like
> debian and ubuntu which are currently shut down but in working order.
>
> With the lubuntu 17.10: It seems that an `aptitude full-upgrade' has
> installed a new kernel... (version 4.13.0.31-generic) not sure what
> all else but several pkgs.
>
> The new initrd's were generated during the upgrade.
>
> On a reboot called by the software updater when I ran it, the vm
> completely fails.
>
> In the last few hours, I've started from scratch 3 times, each time I
> managed a running lubuntu install but after running `full-upgrade'
> each of them had this same total failure.
>
> The log referenced in the attached screenshot is 3200 lines long and I
> did not recognize a single line that seemed to be useful without
> intimate knowledge of the workings of vbox.
>
> If anyone wants to see it I will post it.
>
> Can anyone give guidance?... are others seeing problem with new kernel
> (version 4.13.0.31-generic)
>
> Backing up to the previous kernel 4.13.0.21-generic allows the login
> screen to appear but once logged in it goes to a black screen with no
> buttons on the bottom panel that seems to be frozen and completely
> unresponsive.

There have been many issues related to Metldown/Spectre recently (search
for this if you are not familiar with these issues)

One of those issue crept into the kernel.  On some machines this issue
causes some computers problems booting, though I had thought it to be
fully fixed.

Red Hat recently went as far as rolling back their updates, and
preventing the fixes from entering their kernels based on similar issue
to what you report.

So, since Intel/AMD have had serious security issues in their kernel
firmware, these updates are needed, but the fixes also are causing
problems in some cases.

The issue, may simply be Virtual Box, but be aware it might be related
to that specific kernel issue.  Try booting from an older kernel to see
if your problem is fixed.  You may also simply need to update VBox