[lubuntu-users] New kernel seems to kill lubuntu in Vbox vm

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jan 23 19:31:23 UTC 2018

Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> writes:

Harry wrote:
>> screen to appear but once logged in it goes to a black screen with no
>> buttons on the bottom panel that seems to be frozen and completely
>> unresponsive.

Israel replied:

[...]

> The issue, may simply be Virtual Box, but be aware it might be related
> to that specific kernel issue.  Try booting from an older kernel to see
> if your problem is fixed.  You may also simply need to update VBox

Another full install and update to kernel 4.13.0-32-generic... [hope
that is right version numbers ... I don't have that OS running at the
moment]

Once again I get the full failure with Vbox message as posted.

So booted with install media and set things up so that the older
kernel (4.13.0.21-generic) is what get booted...

I was then able to complete a normal bootup and run as expected.

About updating vbox, yes it is an old version (5.0.40) but my host OS
(openindiana) has never fixed issues that make installing recent vbox
versions a major task, and one for someone much more skilled/talented
than I.

I'm too chicken to risk messing up my zfs server (openindian) as I do
have lots of photos and other sorts of things stored there.

Thanks for more of that same excellent input.