[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 16.04.1 Live causes overheating in a MacBook Pro C2D

scrooyahoo at riseup.net scrooyahoo at riseup.net
Sun Sep 4 20:36:47 UTC 2016

Yesterday I ubgraded 'The Thing' to Capitain.  That was the longest 30
minutes of my life... It actually took about 6 hours.

I'm still amazed how hot this machine gets.

Thanks for these tips (specially the grub partition tip) I'm now making
notes and trying to figure how and what. I now think that i can figure
it out, or at least i know that i can keep OSX alive.

I really had no idea that OSX would throw up so many specific rules.

I'll keep the OSX as 1st partition
then place the 10MB partition for grub

And then the GNU/Linux stuff.

I'll burn El Capitain on a CD just in case i really mess up :-)

I hate what Mac does when you enter the display corners in Capitain that
combined with the weird touchpad behaviour causes a lot of
frustration...

I hope I can now make a cute LXDE based desktop on this Mac.

Thanks!

On 2016-09-03 16:17, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> Yep, Apple is a different world . . . personally right now I like 10.9
> Mavericks over 10.11, as the graphics with 10.11 are flat and lifeless,
> but, of course your preference.
>
> I used Disk Utility on my MBPro to set up three partitions + the
> Recovery
> Disk; I have 10.6.8 as the default system, as Sno will still run some
> Classic apps like Appleworks, formatted as "journaled, extended"; 10.9
> in
> the second partition +rEFInd; and now LM 18 running in the last
> partition.
> OSX goes in first **before*** any linux system, as it doesn't play well
> with others.  The linux partition should be formatted as "FAT32" or
> possibly "Free" . . . and that should allow the deb installer to see
> where
> to install linux.  I found that on the MBPro I had to use "manual" and
> add
> a small 10 MB partition labelled as "bios_grub" to get GRUB to install
> properly . . . in front of the /home and . . . whatever it is, too
> early,
> the "swap" partitions . . . .

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:41 PM, <scrooyahoo at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-09-02 17:21, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM, <scrooyahoo at riseup.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if you are able to run the Lubuntu 16.04 Live
>>> environment on

>>> Best to try different OSs and see which one runs best.  From time
>>> spent on
>>> the forums it seems a little "unusual" that just getting to the GRUB
>>> window
>>> caused overheating . . . also considering that Lubuntu is "light" and
>>> easy
>>> on specs . . . .  Which leads me to again consider saying again that
>>> have
>>> LM on my MBPro . . . which is "ubuntu" with a nice veneer, pretty
>>> well
>>> worked out.  Possibly LU 16 is still roughly "beta" . . . and the
>>> code is
>>> probably written for PC and not Apple.  Running linux on an Apple is
>>> still
>>> pretty much a "fringe" concept . . . on my MBPro I had to use rEFInd
>>> get
>>> the system to boot up **after*** install--which is a "boot manager"
>>> program.  Search Google for "rodbooks" and it should show up . . .
>>> site is
>>> on Sourceforge.
>>>
>>> As far as whether kernel 4 would be safe, newer is usually "better" .
>>> . .
>>> question is whether you could get HH's fan control daemon from the
>>> repos .
>>> . . and install it to the "live" session, before the core shut
>>> down???
>>> First step usually is boot the live DVD or USB and run it a bit, then
>>> add
>>> in fan control; but if you can't boot it beyond GRUB I would look to
> [...]
>>> options . . . .  The MBPro should have enough juice to run something