[lubuntu-users] Scanning thru network not working?

Marlon Ng guikaye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:57:40 UTC 2016

Two desktop computers, both connected to the same wifi.

Desktop 1 is windows 7.  An Epson L210 is connected to this machine via
cable.

Desktop 2 is Lubuntu 16.04.1.  This machine can print with the Epson L210
(which is connected to Desktop 1 via cable).  I suppose this is possible
thru the installed smbclient, correct?  Desktop 1 needs to be running,
obviously.

Desktop 2, in addition to having this installed:

epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb

also has "iscan" installed.  Although Lubuntu already comes with "Simple
Scan".

As stated above, network printing is possible.  But I get this error when
running "Simple Scan":

"No scanners detected.  Please check your scanner is connected and powered
on"

....and this error when I run "iscan"

"Could not send command to scanner.  Check the scanner's status."

Please note that network printing is only possible because I had to
manually type in:

smb://192.168.1.105/EPSON%20L210%20Series

in the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" (which you can find when you click the
+Add button in Printers app.

I believe that is not the best way to do it? I'm not sure, but I think it
used to be that I click "Find Network Printer" and type the ip address of
the computer to which the Epson printer is connected (Desktop 1 / windows 7
machine), then it would be able to detect the printer and I would continue
from there.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the network scanning problem.

In other words, network printing is possible only because of a workaround;
the root of the problem seems unsolved, and so the network scanning problem
is to be expected.  Am I wrong?

Please also note that the following files are installed.

cups
sane
smbclient
samba