Lost my GUI in 14.10

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:24:25 UTC 2014

Hi Henk,
My guess is that this is something to do with lightdm still, since you
just got an upgrade for it.
That would be the place to start looking.  You could search Launchpad to
see if there is a bug related to this issue.  If you cannot find any,
I'd suggest opening a bug for it.  It may effect users of different
desktop environments as well, and then we can know that it is not a
Lubuntu specific issue.  If it is specific to Lubuntu then it may be
related to the Lubuntu session file.... (sorry I can't remember what it
is called at the moment).  This is the Lubuntu specific 'startx' command.
I am guessing you still cannot 'startx' and get X up.

You could also try downgrading lightdm, I suppose, but that can be
rather messy when you do things like that...

Another option would be to install something like Xubuntu in a secondary
partition and see if you are effected with the same issue when you update.

Hope this is fully fixed before release!