New Lenovo Netbook (broadcom wireless)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 12:41:56 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 08:51 PM, "J. Van Brimmer" wrote:

> > Yes, I have just started recording
> > the first DVD+R disc.  I'm using the > Lenovo tool called "Create
> Recovery > Media". It did not tell me how many > discs it's going to
> take. The first
> > disc just finished.  It was the boot
> > disc. Data disc1 recording now.
> >

> Well, I completed the system backup, using the Lenovo tool called
> Create Recovery Media. One boot disc and three data discs. I tested
> only the boot disc, it worked. Since it took so much time to get the C
> drive shrunk down to where I wanted it, I didn’t want to do a complete
> system restore. I have no reason to think it wouldn't work.
>
> Now to find a distro to install. I am partial to Lubuntu, but when I
> booted up the live disc, Lubuntu didn't recognize the wireless device.
> It has a Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/n Wifi adapter BCM43228. Is there a
> software package for this chipset in the repos? Now the search begins.
>
> For the one who asked. The hard drive already has three primary
> partitions. Sda1 is SYSTEM_DRV, sda2 is Windows7_OS, sda3 is
> Lenovo_Recovery. So, the next one I'll make extended. Sda3 has a drive
> letter of Q, of all things, and it is at the very end of the drive. If
> their going to put it at the end, name it Z for crying out loud.
> Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Hi,
No Ubuntu distro will recognize the wireless out of the box.
I think Puppy will, and possibly even some Ubuntu based distros like
mint... however you can
search for broadcom wireless drivers in your package manager of
choice.... or
if you like the fast terminal way:
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
will install it.
I am not sure if it isn't included because of some sort of copyright
issues, or what...
But they stopped including it around 10.10 give or take... I really
can't remember when.