New Lenovo Netbook (broadcom wireless)

J. Van Brimmer jerry.vb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:40:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> No Ubuntu distro will recognize the wireless out of the box.
> I think Puppy will, and possibly even some Ubuntu based distros like mint... however you can
> search for broadcom wireless drivers in your package manager of choice.... or
> if you like the fast terminal way:
> sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
> will install it.
> I am not sure if it isn't included because of some sort of copyright issues, or what...
> But they stopped including it around 10.10 give or take... I really can't remember when.

Well, I successfully installed LXLE, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, all 14.04
versions. I was able to get the wireless working in Lubu and Xubu by
connecting a LAN cable during the install, and after the first reboot
installing the following packages:

bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2)
broadcom-sta-common (6.30.223.141-1)
broadcom-sta-source (6.30.223.141-1)

That gave me the wl driver for my BCM43228 adapter. The b43 driver
didn't support this hardware.

The video worked fine, the installer installed the
xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon packages.

Only one glitch I haven't figured out yet. On Lubu and Xubu, when I go
to logout or shutdown; when I click on the logout icon on the bar in
the lower right corner, it takes about 60 seconds (I haven't actually
timed it) for the Logout/Shutdown/etc menu to appear. Once it appears
though, any selection is acted on immediately. This only happens on
Lubu and Xubu, LXLE works fine.

Other than that, I did try the Fn+F8 key combo to reduce screen
brightness. It didn't work. I didn't test the other Fn+ keys yet.

Anyway, that 's the latest.

--
->Jerry<-