Mailing list etiquette

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sat Oct 4 15:22:32 UTC 2014

On 10/4/2014 11:09 AM, ∅ wrote:

> Please everyone read this:
>
> Especially read the part about quoting. This has gotten out of hand on
> this list.
>
> Look what I just got from the admin interface:
> >     From: lubuntu at prpcompany.com <mailto:lubuntu at prpcompany.com>
> >     Subject: Re: New Lenovo Netbook
> >     Reason:  Message body is too big: 46035 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
>
> All of that is quoting. That's ridiculous. I let that one through but
> this is the last time.
>
> As a digest reader (I'm not the only one), this is incredibly
> annoying. Since some people reply on top and others below, I
> constantly have to hunt for the message.
>
> Given that I often get these messages on my phone (I'm not the only
> one), that task is even harder.
>
> Please be considerate of others.
>
> wxl

Sorry, that was me.  After I got the moderator notice I took a knife to
the message and resubmitted.

And that's a good pointer.  I was not aware of that convention.  I had
intentionally not trimmed posts for the sake of anyone who wanted to
catch up on the flow of a thread by reading a single email.  But of
course that's a two-edged sword, and I see now that the etiquette here
is both to snip and to bottom-post.

--Citizen John