Installing a program from a tar.gz file in Lubuntu.

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 9 16:32:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Marc Tremblay <mtremblay at lbpsb.qc.ca> wrote:
> I need to install
> Smart Notebook in our computer labs and I am not familiar with the process.

The one thing they don't explain is the difference between the two
downloads. Get the files not the pre-pacaged repo.

They actually have good instructions, though they're hidden at the bottom:
https://www.smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Support+Documents/Notebook/11Linux/170339

tl;dr:
1. Unpack it with `tar xf filename`.
2. It should unpack a bunch of *.deb files in the directory you're in.
3. `sudo dpkg -i *.deb` to install globally.
4. Now you can remove the tarball and .debs.

Note, the responsibility to keep this updated and to check for updates
is entirely on you due to the way they have provided the software.

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA