Display Serious Issue with Lubuntu

Fri May 9 20:08:51 UTC 2014

Ali, and all:

I tried running Xubuntu (from a USB stick) on my HP Mini (which I think
has an 11-inch wide screen - I didn't actually measure it).

As far as I can tell, it behaved the same as Lubuntu.

The screen resolution on this machine is 1024 x 576, which is lacking in
the vertical dimension.

In booting Xubuntu from the USB stick, when the window appeared giving
you the choice to either try Xubuntu (or install Xubuntu), that window
was too 'tall' for the screen, and the bottom was cut-off.  It was not
resized to fit.

After booting, I checked the system settings, and the display size
options were 1024 x 576 (the maximum), or a lesser resolution (which
would have cut-off things even more drastically).

When I ran my application, the bottom portion of the main window was
cut-off (the same as with Lubuntu).  My system requirements state that
it needs a minimum vertical dimension of 670 pixels, and 576 is not
enough for it.

As with Lubuntu, I could hold down the Alt-key, then click (and
hold-down) the left track-pad button (anywhere in the window - not just
on the title-bar), and drag the window upwards until the lower right
corner was exposed.

Then (as with Lubuntu), I was able to drag the lower-right corner upward
and to the left.  This allowed me to reduce the dimensions of the window
from its 'preferred' dimensions, to its 'minimum' dimensions, but no
farther.

If my application allowed it to be re-sized smaller than the minimum
size, important controls would no longer appear within the window's
panels.  That's why there is a minimum size the application can specify.

There was nothing in Xubuntu that scaled the entire window to fit within
the screen.  If there is something you can do to make this happen,
please let me know (because I am not aware of it).

As far as I can tell, Xubuntu behaves the same as Lubuntu.

- Aere

--
Sincerely,
Aere