Display Serious Issue with Lubuntu

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat May 10 06:26:56 UTC 2014

2014-05-09 19:27, Aere Greenway skrev:
> On 05/09/2014 10:36 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
>> With MS Windows, IIRC, each time you change the resolution of the
>> screen, the applications/windows will be smaller as well. With
>> Lubuntu, it seems different case.
>>
>> I haven't tested Xubuntu for example on that machine. Not sure if I
>> have time to do that but I guess I can always run it from the LiveUSB
>> and test it.
> Ali:
>
> I will try Xubuntu on my HP Mini, and see if it allows me more flexibility.
>
> I have specified different screen resolutions on Lubuntu (and other
> Ubuntu variants), but it doesn't seem to allow you to exceed what the
> monitor is capable of (or what it 'thinks' the monitor is capable of).
>
> I have a Xubuntu 14.04 live USB, so I'll give it a try on my HP Mini,
> and report back.

Hi everybody,

Using KVM and VirtManager I can get 'higher resolutions' than what the
monitor is capable of. Of course it is only emulated, but anyway. In my
Toshiba laptop with native resolution 1366x768 a system (for example
Lubuntu) can run at 1920x1080. In one mode it will even select it
automatically. Text is surprisingly easy to read, it almost looks like
it were the native resolution.

I know, a virtual machine is no good alternative for really old
computers, but maybe the way to emulate higher resolution could be used
without a virtual machine. Maybe *you* know how to do that; in that case
please tell us :-)

Best regards
Nio