Minimum and recommended RAM to install Lubuntu Trusty

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 07:47:26 UTC 2014

Hi Phill and Julien,

Here are my test results concerning minimum and recommended RAM to
install Lubuntu Trusty

Testing with the boot option 'mem' in the following computer

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/

('effective' is what is reported by 'free -m' as total memory)

Erase disk and install (with swap partition on the HDD)

Lubuntu Trusty desktop 32-bit beta2
mem=256M (effective 241M) OK
mem=224M (effective 210M) heavy swapping to zram and disk, but OK
mem=192M failure

Erase disk and install (without swap partition on the HDD)

Lubuntu Trusty desktop 32-bit beta2
mem=256M (effective 241M) OK
mem=224M (effective 210M) heavy swapping to zram, but OK
mem=192M failure

lubuntu Trusty alternate 32-bit beta2
mem=192M (effective 178M) OK
mem=176M (effective 162M) OK
mem=160M failure

Summary

Absolute minimun RAM for the standard installers

Lubuntu Trusty desktop 32-bit: 224 MB
Lubuntu Trusty alternate 32-bit: 176 MB

More memory is necessary for more advanced install alternatives, for
example dual boot using 'Something else' at the partitioning window.

Recommended minimum RAM for the standard installers

Lubuntu Trusty desktop 32-bit: 384 MB
Lubuntu Trusty alternate 32-bit: 256 MB

Alternatives

The One Button Installer can install systems with 128 MB RAM.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

The 9w installer can install systems with 80 MB RAM, but Lubuntu Core
Trusty needs 128 MB RAM to run and at least 256 MB RAM to be really useful.

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/

Computers with less memory can be used in text mode (or maybe in
graphics mode with some other really small linux distro).

See posts #88, 89 and the following posts in this thread about 9w.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209683&page=5&p=12957586#post12957586
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209683&page=6&p=12957950#post12957950
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209683&page=8&p=12962755#post12962755

Best regards