No Desktop Manager

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Thu Jun 26 17:02:48 UTC 2014

On 26/06/14 08:49, farinet at arcor.de wrote:
> lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com schrieb:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've just installed Lubuntu 14.04 (32 bit) on an old Pentium III machine
>> and get an error on login, "Desktop manager is not active". Any helpful
>> thoughts will be most welcome.
>>
>> I have full access to the machine via the command line, but haven't a
>> clue how to kickstart presumably, lxde.
>>
>> Peter HB
>
> Did you try startx from the console? Also: It might be an idea, given
> you have network connection running, to install an alternative login
> manager like slim, eg.
>
> 	sudo apt-get install slim
>
> Then, in case lightdm is installed but somehow broken, you would be
> prompted with a question which login manager you prefer. Choose slim and
> see what happens.
>
> Otherwise, try from the console
>
> 	dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
>
> Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I retained my home directory from a previous
installation of lxle and guessed that this might be at the root of the
problem. Re-installing, but this time re-formatting the home directory
partition made the problem go away and I now have lubuntu running - well
walking with a limp anyway. :-)