How to retain native application icons?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 21:53:02 UTC 2014

Hi, I'd like to add an answer to the question here.
This is GNU/Linux.  You can modify your system HOWEVER you want.
The way you can modify the icon to use the 'original' icon is in the
desktop files.
open a terminal and type
cd /usr/share/applications

Look for the program name.  I'll use firefox as the example

firefox.desktop is the file you want.
edit it with your editor of choice from the terminal
i.e.
gksu leafpad firefox.desktop
(note: you have to run this as gksu it will ask for your password since
you are modifying the system)
Now edit the line
Icon=firefox

save and voila!
You have modified your system in a way unsupported by the designers of
integrated themes.
The easier answer is of course to use a theme that doesn't have
integrated icons for apps, as Rafael suggested.

Don't be offended by him.  Sometimes it is easy to be offended when it
seems as someone is criticizing your hard work.  I understand that you
expected native icons from all apps having come from Windows.  GNU/Linux
is very much geared towards tight visual aesthetics in the overall look
of a DE.  We are able to customize the UI to a degree impossible in
other OS, and we fully take advantage of this.