Good ol' UNRELIABLE Lubuntu :(

c. marlow chris at marlows.org
Fri Jun 13 23:46:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2014 03:02 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> 2014-06-13 21:26, c. marlow skrev:
>>
>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz
>>
>>      *-memory
>>           physical id: 19
>>           slot: System board or motherboard
>>           size: 2GiB
>>         *-bank:0
>>              physical id: 0
>>              slot: A0
>>              size: 2GiB
>>              width: 64 bits
>>              clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)
>>
>>            *-display
>>                 product: GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
>>                 vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
>>
>>            *-network
>>                 product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
>> Controller
>>                 vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

>> This computer should run well with Lubuntu as well as with Xubuntu. You
>> may need the boot option nomodeset (and or some other boot options) to
>> get going, and if problems with the graphics card, you can try a
>> proprietary nvidia driver.
>>
>> Hibernating, sleeping, screen locking and such modes can have problems
>> in some computers. They might work better in Xubuntu than in Lubuntu. It
>> is worth trying. Or you can try to tweak your system. These things can
>> be hardware dependent, and it is hard to get a general system to work
>> with all kinds of hardware combinations.
>>
>> It is often a good idea to have the newest version of BIOS.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>

> I agree with Nio... try searching for stuff related to your graphics:
>
> GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
>
> nomodeset is a good idea to test it!  I had some issues running Lubuntu
> 13.10 on a computer until I used nomodeset... I think it also had NVidia
> graphics... though I am not entirely sure.  Nouveau has come a long way,
> but they work to support the newer cards, so sometimes, the older cards
> have compatibility broken in order to make newer cards work right.
>

> Otherwise,  2Gig is enough to run Xubuntu if you want to.  You can
> always install the LXDE components, and art.  You can also add the
> LXpanel to Thunar, and remove Xfce panel if you like.  I have run
> LXPanel and Thunar together successfully (since Thunar has really good
> volume management.. though PCManFm is catching up!)  Thunar is more
> tolerable now, too since it has tabs (finally).
>
> You can easily install all the Artwork, like Rafael's awesome icons, and
> the wallpapers, etc..
>

> --
> Regards

Hopefully I am not missing out on replies.. If you are getting any
replies saying my domain doesnt exist now... they're just having
issues... Please re send your replies again sorry about that

Christopher

--
~ Christopher ~
chris at marlows.org

**DISCLAIMER:

This email and any files transmitted from chris at marlows.org, and to
chris at marlows.com, are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and
may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you receive
this email in error, please advise me by return email immediately. Please
also disregard the contents of the email, delete it and destroy any copies
immediately. All emails incoming and outgoing are kept for my personal use
and are kept on file and archived away INDEFINITELY.