Good ol' UNRELIABLE Lubuntu :(

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:31:06 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 03:02 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> 2014-06-13 21:26, c. marlow skrev:
>
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz
>
>      *-memory
>           physical id: 19
>           slot: System board or motherboard
>           size: 2GiB
>         *-bank:0
>              physical id: 0
>              slot: A0
>              size: 2GiB
>              width: 64 bits
>              clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)
>
>            *-display
>                 product: GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
>                 vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
>
>            *-network
>                 product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller
>                 vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

> This computer should run well with Lubuntu as well as with Xubuntu. You
> may need the boot option nomodeset (and or some other boot options) to
> get going, and if problems with the graphics card, you can try a
> proprietary nvidia driver.
>
> Hibernating, sleeping, screen locking and such modes can have problems
> in some computers. They might work better in Xubuntu than in Lubuntu. It
> is worth trying. Or you can try to tweak your system. These things can
> be hardware dependent, and it is hard to get a general system to work
> with all kinds of hardware combinations.
>
> It is often a good idea to have the newest version of BIOS.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

I agree with Nio... try searching for stuff related to your graphics:

GK107 [GeForce GT 640]

nomodeset is a good idea to test it!  I had some issues running Lubuntu
13.10 on a computer until I used nomodeset... I think it also had NVidia
graphics... though I am not entirely sure.  Nouveau has come a long way,
but they work to support the newer cards, so sometimes, the older cards
have compatibility broken in order to make newer cards work right.

Otherwise,  2Gig is enough to run Xubuntu if you want to.  You can
always install the LXDE components, and art.  You can also add the
LXpanel to Thunar, and remove Xfce panel if you like.  I have run
LXPanel and Thunar together successfully (since Thunar has really good
volume management.. though PCManFm is catching up!)  Thunar is more
tolerable now, too since it has tabs (finally).

You can easily install all the Artwork, like Rafael's awesome icons, and
the wallpapers, etc..