Bento Village iso file with new non-pae kernel by Phill

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 09:31:00 UTC 2014

Hi Mélodie,
[see inline]
Best regards/Nio

2014-07-06 10:57, meets at gmx.fr skrev:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 01:25:10 +0200
> Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I got curious and started testing. Bento Trusty NON PAE
>>
>> 1. runs live and can install into VirtualBox (without pae flag). The
>> screen size is limited to 640x480 unless I activate
>>
>> GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>>
>> in /etc/default/grub and run
>>
>> sudo update-grub.
>
> Hi,
>
> I didn't know about this Grub setup, and this is good to know. And about the ISO's, I
> used to add the packages for virtual hosts (which allow having the same resolution as
> the host provides) and lately I didn't anymore. I guess I should add them again for the
> test ISO's to come.

That's a good idea.

>> I have only tested basic things, and they work. But
>> wired network does not work. I can ping but web addresses cannot be
>> resolved. Is this the known bug and is it independent of the non-pae
>> kernel? I do not see this bug in Lubuntu 14.04 LTS with the non-pae
>> kernel as installed via the OBI-9w.
>
> I don't think that this is dependent on the kernel, but rather to the latest versions of
> network-manager and or network-manager-gnome in Trusty. I hit with the bug in a Bento
> Trusty installed from mini.iso (the official netinstall method), and I found that other
> people hit this bug in official community supported versions of 14.04 when they are
> updated:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/1301158
>
> If the bug does not exist in Lubuntu 14.04, that would be very good : is that still ok
> after it is fully updated and rebooted?

Yes, as far as I understand, I should have noticed the problem otherwise
yesterday, when I ran two different instances of Lubuntu 14.04, one with
the non-pae kernel, one 64-bit system.

> In my computer/Bento Trusty install, I have switched to wicd/wicd-daemon/wicd-gtk
> yesterday, and it all works fine since. I have used a few hours testing and rebooting,
> each time the wired network was working after boot, but the nm-applet icon was not there
> (ghost) and the information menu from where it lives would say that it was not started.
> (See here: http://meets.free.fr/images/nm-applet_and_network-manager.png )
>
> I am waiting for the next comments or demands for log files on that bug report thread.
>
> If you still have your installs of Bento Trusty, you can do the wired connection easily
> with "sudo dhclient ethX" where X would be 0 or 1 depending on your configuration. In
> Virtualbox it should need to be setup as bridge and not NAT. From there, you could
> install the wicd packages and see if that solves the issue. If it does, you can be sure
> the non pae kernel is not faulty.

I must admit, that I am not very good at tweaking networks. I'll try

sudo dhclient ethX

where X would be 0 or 1 ...

I have a bad experience from wicd in the pre-alpha versions of ToriOS.
Maybe because I don't understand it, but I could never make it work
properly, while Network manager 'always works' after my tweaks according
to this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall#Unmanaged_Wired_Network

>> 2. runs live and can install into an IBM Thinkpad T42 with Pentium M,
>> that lacks PAE flag, but has PAE capability. But it would be better to
>> find a machine that truly lacks PAE capability.
>
> I don't have any. Do such machines still really exist out there?

Yes, but not very easy to find. See this link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216356&page=4&p=13050755#post13050755

>> I have only tested basic things, and they work except wired network,
>> which has the same problem with wired network as in VBox.
>
> You do have the connection working with wireless, right? This is what I hit with my
> install when using the network-manager tools.

No, I don't think so, but I did not really try. I focused on wired
internet, which 'should' work out of the box.

>> 3. manages persistence, tested with Unetbootin and a casper-rw
>> partition. I used a temporary boot option entered after hitting TAB to
>> edit the line with boot options. Tested in an IBM Thinkpad T42 with
>> Pentium M, and in a Toshiba Satellite Pro with Intel i5.
>
> This is very good. I wonder if the USB Creator tool works in Trusty? (usb-creator-gtk). In
> Precise it works fine as long as the USB stick has been formatted to Fat32 by Gparted
> prior and not with the tool itself.
>
> I haven't tested it yet.

Try it and report your result :-)