WOTL: Any thoughts for best desktop value these days?

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:18:16 UTC 2014

Hi Fritz,

On 23 December 2014 at 00:05, Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com> wrote:

> So far all my computers have been Apple, but with the PPC iMac now at 12
> years or so old and having an extended "illness" which it may or may not
> survive . . . I've been considering a new/used desktop to replace it.

To give you useful information, I really need to know where in the world
you are.

I have had http://www.tier1online.com/ recommended to me. They do
refurbished business computers (desktop and laptop). They are very much
Windows oriented. As they are business oriented they tend to have
integrated Intel graphics. They are not as fast as NVidia graphics but, in
my experience, are a lot more stable and reliable. And the hardware is
typically robust.

Dell and Amazon do refurbished computers. Go to the relevant websites for
you and take a look.

Go to Google, search for some kind of computer  e.g. "refurbished desktops"
and take it from there. I would recommend getting a 64 bit processor with
plenty of RAM (at least 2GB) for something that's going to be useful for a
while:)

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page - currently down