media player

Henk Terhell hterhell at chello.nl
Sat Apr 19 15:50:30 UTC 2014

Thanks Irael for your help.

Israel schreef op 19-4-2014 14:17:
> Hi,
> On 04/18/2014 05:06 PM, Henk Terhell wrote:
>> Happy to have installed 14.04 now on my desktop and old laptop but
>> upgrading from 12.04 was not very smooth. Only a complete overwrite
>> worked out OK. On my  laptop I forgot to put the wireless connection
>> on when upgrading to 14.04 ( I assumed I could do this afterward) and
>> had to reinstall again as I couldn't find a way to find the router.
>>
> Sorry you encountered the issue.  Unfortunately I do not know how to
> answer this, though a bug report might help the developers.  It may be
> unrelated to Lubuntu specifically, and be more related to your
> wireless card.
Now I understand it was related to the missing nm-applet, so no further
action is needed.
>> There is a problem with media playing in 14.04 which I hadn't notice
>> in 12.04: VLC player won't start a CD or DVD until it is ejected
>> first from PCManFM in the left column.
> Do you have PCManFM handle mounting volumes automatically? I found
> using thunar --daemon in my startup applications worked well for
> autoplaying DVDs when I insert them, but unfortunately PCManFM doesn't
> yet have the ability to automatically open a program when media is
> inserted.
Yes, mounting devices automatically seems to be on. I have installed
thunar now. Most useful as indeed it does show all tracks of the CD/DVD
from which you can start VLC and it actually works, Clicking on the
individual wav files from within PCManFM causes an error message in VLC.
>> Also VLC won't start when a CD or DVD was present at start-up
>> although BIOS is set to boot from the hard disk. With BIOS setting at
>> CD/DVD reading first, the system won't even boot when a movie DVD is
>> present, but that is a handicap quickly learned to overcome.
>> Reinstalling VLC didn't solve anything
>>
>> Henk
>>

> The system not booting when a movie is in seems to be a firmware issue
> for your BIOS, it seems unlikely that this issue is related to
> Lubuntu.  Did this used to work, but now is broken?

Not sure, but after resetting the BIOS to boot from hard disk there are
still sometimes crashes in starting up the system when a disk is present
in the tray, so I should avoid that. I had not seen this before nor does
it show up in starting mint 16/LXDE from grub. But also in mint 16 the
problem exists that vlc cannot be restarted unless after playing the
disk is ejected first either manually or from PCManFM, so that likely is
an issue of this file manager.