media player

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 12:17:47 UTC 2014

Hi,
On 04/18/2014 05:06 PM, Henk Terhell wrote:
> Happy to have installed 14.04 now on my desktop and old laptop but
> upgrading from 12.04 was not very smooth. Only a complete overwrite
> worked out OK. On my  laptop I forgot to put the wireless connection
> on when upgrading to 14.04 ( I assumed I could do this afterward) and
> had to reinstall again as I couldn't find a way to find the router.

Sorry you encountered the issue.  Unfortunately I do not know how to
answer this, though a bug report might help the developers.  It may be
unrelated to Lubuntu specifically, and be more related to your wireless
card.
> There is a problem with media playing in 14.04 which I hadn't notice
> in 12.04: VLC player won't start a CD or DVD until it is ejected first
> from PCManFM in the left column.
Do you have PCManFM handle mounting volumes automatically? I found using
thunar --daemon in my startup applications worked well for autoplaying
DVDs when I insert them, but unfortunately PCManFM doesn't yet have the
ability to automatically open a program when media is inserted.

> Also VLC won't start when a CD or DVD was present at start-up although
> BIOS is set to boot from the hard disk. With BIOS setting at CD/DVD
> reading first, the system won't even boot when a movie DVD is present,
> but that is a handicap quickly learned to overcome.
> Reinstalling VLC didn't solve anything
>
> Henk

The system not booting when a movie is in seems to be a firmware issue
for your BIOS, it seems unlikely that this issue is related to Lubuntu.
Did this used to work, but now is broken?