Evince image viewer cannot view PNG

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 21 03:41:15 UTC 2013

On 09/20/2013 08:30 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> by the same argument, does a new comer want to see "Use this for
> documents" and "use this for spreadsheets"... a new comer will look at
> the menu and look for "What it does". I do believe this discussion
> should be taken further as we are expecting windoze 98 people to be
> using lubuntu.
>
> In this case, it should be "what it does" followed by "what it is"....

Oh, which comes first (name or function) is a separate issue.  All I was
saying is that different kinds of users expect both of those pieces of
information, so having both of them in the menu label seems appropriate,
and that is what mtpaint currently does.

If you want to argue for something more like:

  Graphics Editor (mtpaint)

that's fine, at least it still includes the program name and so is
distinguishable from (for example):

  Graphics Editor (gimp)

One issue I see here is that, as I currently understand it, these labels
are in files currently installed as part of each package, so to change
them, you would want to persuade each package maintainer to make that
change... which is a LOT of work!  Further, if Lubuntu decides that we
want "Function (name)", but Ubuntu decides they want "Function", guess
which one most package maintainers will use :)  Technically, we might be
able to maintain our own database of the menu labels we want and use
something fix them up after installation, but that seems ugly, and prone
to political trouble from package maintainers who could probably claim
we are overriding their express intent...

I'd say we leave any package that has both application name and function
in its label alone, and focus on ones that lack one of those in their
menu label... just to shrink the scale of the task.

Jonathan