Multi-Processor Usage an Lubuntu 13.10 (64-bit) on MacBook

Thu Oct 24 05:21:39 UTC 2013

On 10/23/2013 10:27 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Try live with some other versions and check if they show that both
> processors are running. You can also install and run htop to get a
> simple and straightforward display.
Nio:

I will investigate this further.

As I recall, I encountered it in the 13.04 release, and I installed the
AMD64 version of Ubuntu.  In my first install, I got just one processor
in the system monitor display.  I re-installed Ubuntu, doing something
different, and I got the two processors showing in the system monitor.
I probably did something different in the install process, because I
ended up with a GRUB entry in the REFIT display (in addition to Mac and
Linux), and had to use the GRUB entry to boot Linux.

But the thing that concerned me with that installation, is that things
would appear to freeze up periodically (as far as you could tell from
the screen), yet it was still producing sound, so it wasn't hung.  The
freeze-up would go away fairly soon.  Then it would come and go at
unpredictable times.  It also had the problem with audio when you plug
in the amplifier.

 From that experience, I decided not to use my dual-boot Linux in that
machine (the dual-boot in my other Mac OS X 10.6 had no such problems).

When I saw that there was a special version for 64-bit Mac in the
Lubuntu 13.10 downloads page, and thought my problem was that I didn't
install a 64 bit version specifically for Mac.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the details of what I did when I tried
it before on the last release.

--
Sincerely,
Aere