Roadmap for 14.04

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 19 10:01:07 UTC 2013

2013/11/18 Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com>

> On 2013-11-18 12:54, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> > Before talking about the future of Lubuntu, you have to know and realize
> > the followings facts :
> >
> > - My availability will not improve in the future. That means I will
> > focus on fixing stuff, improving lxsession stuff, try to do some
> > documentation, and prepare the future.
> >
> > - We have to consider that no one will magically appear to improve the
> > code of Lubuntu. It's the case since many months, and I don't think it
> > will magically change for the next 6 months. We also don't have the
> > infrastructure (documentation, clean process, availability of mentors
> > ...) to correctly train new people on the devs team, so even if new
> > young and enthusiastic people arrive, they can't really help us if they
> > need training, guidance ...We may have some outside help on specific
> > topics or bugs, but it will not change deeply Lubuntu as we know it. If
> > eventually someone comes with actual work (mean, actual working code),
> > we can still consider it if it's well tested.
>
> I think we *must* find a way to engage new people to develop Lubuntu,
> even if it would mean completely new ways of doing it. This is
> particularly important since your availability will not improve in the
> future.

Sure, but currently, I don't know any magic way to do it with our current
situation.

> > - LXDE is dying. Well, except pcmanfm, all components are frozen and
> > will probably not going to see any improvements in the next 6 months.
> > Expect only bug fixes and translations updates.
> >
> > - LXQt (the merge of Razor-qt and LXDE, using Qt instead of GTK) is
> > slowly taking the place of the LXDE GTK. All work are done on this
> branch.
> >
> > Considering this, and the result of the previous release, we have to
> > admit that we need to focus on fixing bugs for 14.04. We can't introduce
> > new functionalities and new stuff, unless it fixes bugs, or if someone
> > from outside the Lubuntu dev team is actively working on it. In the
> > short-term, that means :
>
> Does this mean that you don't think it is worth the effort to supply LTS
> for 14.04? In that case, what should we tell the users with old
> hardware, who do not want to hop between versions every 6 months:
>
> - use Xubuntu until April 2015
> - use LXLE
> - use Precise Gnome Classic Tweak
> - use Bodhi Linux
>
> or something else?

I still think we can do an LTS. If we don't, we have to maintain a GTK
version for next releases, or switch to a Qt version with a risk of
breakage and instability. Doing an LTS, even if it's not perfectly stable
and maintained, will give us the time we need.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne