How to Change From SNA to UXA Acceleration Methods

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Thu Nov 7 16:56:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013, at 05:24 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> On 2013-11-07 13:04, Lee Gold wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using Lubuntu 13.10.  Latest Flash plugin from repositories.
> >
> > I have an Intel Video Chip integrated on my motherboard. It's
> > problematic and there are web pages devoted on how to make it work in
> > Linux. It works OK with Lubuntu except for playing flash on youtube. For
> > example, when trying to play youtube the video appears only green and
> > purple and compressed into a small box. This is a know bug and a "fix"
> > is to change the newer default acceleration method from SNA to the older
> > UXA, then everthing works OK.
> >
> > The only way I know to do this is to generate an xorg.conf file, copy it
> > to /etc/X11 and uncomment the Accelmethod line and edit it to "uxa",
> > then reboot. I did this in Xubuntu previously and it worked. But I
> > cannot get it to work in Lubuntu 13.10. I turn off X  and do # X
> > -Confugre to make an xorg.conf file and do as cited above, put it in
> > /etc/X11. But I either get a desktop with a very low resolution that
> > can't be reset to higher normal user resolution or Lubuntu will not boot
> > past the splash screen.
> >
> > So the fix that I see on many website for this is not working - an
> > xorg.conf file to fix is not working. I know xorg.conf is not used
> > anymore but I don't know any other way to fix it permanently.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Lee G.
> >
> Hi Lee,
>
> This works for me in Lubuntu 13.10 i386 (and is particularly useful with
> old Intel graphics)
>
> Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (there should be a tab
> before each line except the first and the last).
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier "Intel Graphics"
> 	Driver "intel"
> 	Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
> EndSection
>
> Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are
> back to the way they used to be and flash works.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi,

I've tried this already, but tried again. It did not work. The results
seem exactly the same as the attempt I made in my previous email with
trying /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf. Please see previous post, the
same thing happened after reboot. The same log output but the line
numbers grep are different i think:

user1 at user1-pchut:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i uxa
[    19.680] (**) intel(0): Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
[    20.033] (II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following
operations:
user1 at user1-pchut:~$

I get the impression that maybe X config begins but when doing things
with a config in /etc/X11 it causes some steps that need to be taken to
be skipped or missed during boot. I say this because X is there but it
is not working 100% OK. maybe a fix is to some additional things after a
boot? Are all my services for X working like lightdm, could that be it?
How to check?

What additional info can I give? These fixes suggested are documented to
fix and I've tried them but for some reason it's not working.

Thanks

-----

                          unladen european swallow