How to Change From SNA to UXA Acceleration Methods

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 12:24:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-07 13:04, Lee Gold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Lubuntu 13.10.  Latest Flash plugin from repositories.
>
> I have an Intel Video Chip integrated on my motherboard. It's
> problematic and there are web pages devoted on how to make it work in
> Linux. It works OK with Lubuntu except for playing flash on youtube. For
> example, when trying to play youtube the video appears only green and
> purple and compressed into a small box. This is a know bug and a "fix"
> is to change the newer default acceleration method from SNA to the older
> UXA, then everthing works OK.
>
> The only way I know to do this is to generate an xorg.conf file, copy it
> to /etc/X11 and uncomment the Accelmethod line and edit it to "uxa",
> then reboot. I did this in Xubuntu previously and it worked. But I
> cannot get it to work in Lubuntu 13.10. I turn off X  and do # X
> -Confugre to make an xorg.conf file and do as cited above, put it in
> /etc/X11. But I either get a desktop with a very low resolution that
> can't be reset to higher normal user resolution or Lubuntu will not boot
> past the splash screen.
>
> So the fix that I see on many website for this is not working - an
> xorg.conf file to fix is not working. I know xorg.conf is not used
> anymore but I don't know any other way to fix it permanently.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Lee G.

Hi Lee,

This works for me in Lubuntu 13.10 i386 (and is particularly useful with
old Intel graphics)

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (there should be a tab
before each line except the first and the last).

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Intel Graphics"
	Driver "intel"
	Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are
back to the way they used to be and flash works.

Best regards
Nio