[Lubuntu-qa] RAM needed for desktop installer reduced to half by zRAM

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:16:04 UTC 2013

Hi Phill,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

1. I added the following indented line(s)
-----
If you are using a USB device to install the system, follow the USB Guide

    Unlike other iso images available on this site, older versions of
the mini.iso do not work from USB drives, but you can make a working USB
install drive with the dd cloning method with the mini.iso version
13.04. See this link and this tutorial.

If you are using a CD/DVD, follow the CD Guide
-----
The text is taken from the corresponding general Ubuntu page

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

where I added "New: You can make ..." after the already existing disclaimer.

2. The chapter 'Unmanaged Wired Network' helped me make the network
portable. Thank you, whoever wrote that chapter :-)

3. But I don't understand

3.1 the chapter about 'USB'

- Is it from before the 'big bug', that stopped mini.iso USB to work?

- I did not suffer from the bug that it wrote the mbr to the USB install
drive, probably because a dd clone is read-only with its iso file system.

So this chapter needs more attention to get up to date.

3.2 The talk about CLI.

I used the default method, which is a text based wizard type interface,
similar to that of the alternate iso. Why not choose that one? (A couple
of weeks ago, the same actions did not work with the 12.04 iso.)

Could it be, that some bug was only affecting the default method? Who
else has recent experience of the mini.iso in general, and the usage via
USB in particular?

Best regards
Nio