RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:27:01 UTC 2013

See inline and end

On 2013-06-16 21:36, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 06/16/2013 11:22 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>> I think your analysis is correct, so if you have low RAM
>>
>> 1. Make sure there is swap and that it is active before starting the
>> installer
>>
>> 2. Do not touch it during the installation (at the partitioning page)
>
> I think expecting novice users coming from Windows to pre-partition and
> set up swap space before they install is asking a *lot*.  I'd much
> prefer that we focus on installing to an HD with either no partitions,
> or a Windows partition, on it, since that is the common case for
> newcomers coming from a Windows OS on older hardware.

I agree. But if it does not work without swap?

> I think asking people to use the "Install Lubuntu" menu item on the
> desktop image is fine, as it is not difficult, and indeed is even
> logical, since that is exactly what they want to do :)
>
> I think asking people with lower RAM machines to use the Alternate
> Install CD is also fine, as it is no more difficult than using ubiquity,
> just less pretty.

How many people start investigating and find the alternate installer? I
think many people dump Lubuntu if the first attempt does not work.

> Anything beyond that (using netboot/mini.iso, or manual pre-partitioning
> to add swap space, etc.) is, to me, a workaround rather than something
> which we should expect normal users to have to deal with.  Suitable for
> hobbyists, but not for the general public.

People who ask here or at the Ubuntu Forums will get advice about the
alternate installer and/or prepartioning including swap, but what
percentage are we?

> Since I'm writing the Installation chapter of the planned Lubuntu
> Manual, if that viewpoint is totally wrong/incorrect/nuts, I need to
> know that, ASAP :)  In the end it's likely to be my decision, but I am
> interested in well-reasoned statements of different positions on this
> from anyone in the Lubuntu community.
>
> Jonathan

The solution is to have a system that is transparent: if there is a
problem (in this case low RAM), there should be a warning and advice
what to do:

- alternate installer

- prepartioning including swap

Or make an adaptive system, that skips the slide show (and maybe some
other processes), if there is too low RAM.

I know, an adaptive system will have low priority, but maybe a warning
and some advice is possible to add into the code (not only into your
manual).

Best regards
Nio