RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:40:13 UTC 2013

On 16/06/13 21:27, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> See inline and end
>
> On 2013-06-16 21:36, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> On 06/16/2013 11:22 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>>> I think your analysis is correct, so if you have low RAM
>>>
>>> 1. Make sure there is swap and that it is active before starting
>>> the installer
>>>
>>> 2. Do not touch it during the installation (at the partitioning
>>> page)
>>
>> I think expecting novice users coming from Windows to pre-partition
>> and set up swap space before they install is asking a *lot*.  I'd
>> much prefer that we focus on installing to an HD with either no
>> partitions, or a Windows partition, on it, since that is the common
>> case for newcomers coming from a Windows OS on older hardware.
>
> I agree. But if it does not work without swap?
>

>> I think asking people to use the "Install Lubuntu" menu item on
>> the desktop image is fine, as it is not difficult, and indeed is
>> even logical, since that is exactly what they want to do :)
>>
>> I think asking people with lower RAM machines to use the Alternate
>> Install CD is also fine, as it is no more difficult than using
>> ubiquity, just less pretty.
>
> How many people start investigating and find the alternate installer?
> I think many people dump Lubuntu if the first attempt does not work.
>

>> Anything beyond that (using netboot/mini.iso, or manual
>> pre-partitioning to add swap space, etc.) is, to me, a workaround
>> rather than something which we should expect normal users to have
>> to deal with.  Suitable for hobbyists, but not for the general
>> public.
>
> People who ask here or at the Ubuntu Forums will get advice about
> the alternate installer and/or prepartioning including swap, but
> what percentage are we?
>

>> Since I'm writing the Installation chapter of the planned Lubuntu
>> Manual, if that viewpoint is totally wrong/incorrect/nuts, I need
>> to know that, ASAP :)  In the end it's likely to be my decision,
>> but I am interested in well-reasoned statements of different
>> positions on this from anyone in the Lubuntu community.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> The solution is to have a system that is transparent: if there is a
> problem (in this case low RAM), there should be a warning and advice
> what to do:
>
> - alternate installer
>
> - prepartioning including swap
>
> Or make an adaptive system, that skips the slide show (and maybe
> some other processes), if there is too low RAM.
>
> I know, an adaptive system will have low priority, but maybe a
> warning and some advice is possible to add into the code (not only
> into your manual).

For the manual we need to know the lowest amount of RAM needed to run
the Live CD install on it's default settings before recommending the
Alternate CD. We could write an entire manual on install Lubuntu, or
maybe with enough volunteers we can add an advanced installation chapter
at a later date. The pre-partitioning method, and any other workarounds
are for the wiki so that people that ask questions can be pointed to them

--

Steve