Chromium does not support Google Calendar offline mode?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Jan 21 19:53:23 UTC 2013

I was looking at calendar choices and posted about that recently
("Calendar/PIM recommendations/evaluations?").  Other than Chris Green's
inventive CLI-oriented home-grown solution, theother suggestions were
Google Calendar and Thunderbird + Lightning/Sunbird.

One mightinstall Thunderbird not to use the main app (email)but only its
calendar extension.  That would be odd, but I have found the current
Windows version of Thunderbird email to be plagued by font bugs, and I
posted links to a list of them in that previous thread.  I have not
heard from anyone about whether the font bugs also manifest in Linux,
but I am wary about the Thunderbird solution on account of my current
assessmentof the Windows version.

So I was having a look at Google Calendar, further bolstered by a hearty
recommendation here:
http://lifehacker.com/5882005/the-best-calendar-app-for-linux

It had seemed like one of the biggest initial GCal shortfalls was no
offline capability, but currently Google attempts to plug that hole via
the Google Calendar web app available from the Google Web Store.  But it
only supports Chrome.  And depending on what you read, the calendar data
that is stored in the Chrome user profile either supports read-only
access to existing events and tasks, or perhaps also allows for creation
of new items that would be synced to Google when you are back online again.

I couldn't find anything written about whether Chromium can also take
advantage of the GCal web app, so I simply tried it.  It seemed to
install and launch OKwhen I was online. Then I closed Chromium, pulled
the Ethernet plug, loaded Chromium and clicked on a bookmark for Google
Calendar.  I got the message "The app is currently unreachable."

So unless I misunderstood something, it seems that to get Google
Calendar offline support, Chromium won't do-- one would have to install
Chrome.

Does anyone else know differently?